Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 6, 2014

So very wicked & totally delicious.

Twenty years ago, give or take, I found myself standing in line with my Dad at the scone shack during the annual Cassia Co. Fair in my hometown.  I had never had a scone.  I could smell them and saw the ridiculously long line and thought, is this really worth standing here???  The short and simple answer was YES! Have you ever had a "Utah" scone? Being from Idaho, this name makes no sense to me, but that's what the good folks out here in the eastern time zone call them.  Out here a "scone" can be rather disappointing if you are hankering for the real deal. 3 years ago I decided to make them myself. I won't lie, it was a really big mess, but the results were awesome.  A new tradition was born. Now, every Christmas we break out the big guns (nutella, honey, jams, strawberry rhubarb spread, etc) and eat all the scones we can. Here's what my efforts looked like this year...much improved from 3 years ago.


 
 
 
The recipe I use is from a ward cookbook(now it looks rather thrashed, or loved which ever) that my sister-in-law gave me years ago.  These books are always filled with the best stuff!  Really, who would share something if it was awful?
 Here it is: 
by Laura B. tweaked by Kresta Wright
Easy Scones -not East Coast style-
4C Warm Water
4tsp Salt
8Tbls Sugar
4Tbls Dry Yeast
4Tbls Vegetable Oil
8C Flour -I use 6 reg 2 whole wheat
 
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water until it rises a little.  Add all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl & mix until smooth. Let it rise for about 15 minutes in the bowl. Cut a chunk of about 1/3 of the dough at a time and roll out onto a floured counter top. I keep it about 1/2inch thick and use a hard plastic drinking cup to cut out the scones (I spray the mouth of the cup with Pam every so often to cut easier).
Before I fry them in hot oil, I stretch and turn the dough using my fingers sort of pulling the dough into a circle like a small pizza.  Keep your fingers floured up! Fry them until golden brown on each side.  Lay them out on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels and cover with a dish towel until you are ready to enjoy. They are wickedly delightful .
 

1 comment:

  1. Just a few days ago I was lamenting my lack of real scones. There is not much better!

    ReplyDelete